Here are the current Tavistock BID projects and progress
Continue to pay for Christmas lights in Partnership with The Town Council
- UPDATE – We met with Festive Lighting 6th April to discuss last years issues and were given a £2000 reduction and all call out charges were canceled, we Are now currently investigating options for 2017.
- UPDATE – Having sourced lights to purchase we are now obtaining quotes for the erection of lighting and maintenance.
- UPDATE – We now have our own Christmas lights and will discuss installation costs with the Town Council for 2018.
Review the Dickensian Evening with a view to moving the date to the first Friday in December.
- UPDATE – This has been rescheduled for the 1st December.
- UPDATE – A ballot was held and Dickensian Evening has been moved to the first Friday of December for the foreseeable future.
Continue activity to encourage coaches to visit the Town
- UPDATE – We are in the process of working with Tavistock County Council to produce leaflets for coach drivers when produced these will be distributed throughout Torquay.
- UPDATE – Leaflets were produced and were distributed through Torquay, a digital copy of the coach back is now available to view on the Visit Tavistock website.
- UPDATE – We have carried out an extensive analysis of coach numbers visiting Tavistock and identified factors affecting numbers. We have attained Coach Friendly Status for Tavistock and put a coaching strategy in place. We are creating a shared media file for tour operators which will help them access information and resources about the town to plan and promote their tours.
Better signage for Car Parks so people know where to go if one is full
- UPDATE – Signage is now in place, we worked with West Devon Borough Council to achieve this.
Use the Square more for concerts, events, big screen to showcase sporting events
- UPDATE – We have forged relation with Miss Ivy Events and are working with other event organisers to encourage them to bring events to Tavistock, we have held a very successful Pet Fest and there is a Tavistock Summer Fete planned in August. We are also in the process of planning a comprehensive schedule of summer events to encourage people into the town this summer.
- UPDATE – After a hugely successful summer festival, we are now looking ahead towards a winter festival. The entertainment provider really impressed BID and we are looking to work with the same provider for some of the Winter Events.
Increase activities and make it a Dickensian weekend
- UPDATE -Activity organised by Tavistock BID has been increased with the Summer Event proving a real success, we are now focusing towards a Winter Festival.
- UPDATE – The square is a popular site and is often booked. We are working with event organisers to help promote their events in order to increase footfall to the area.
Continue to support Tavistock Entry in Britain in Bloom
- UPDATE- Baskets have been supplied by Rising Sun Nurseries, we have collated businesses that require baskets, these baskets are in the process of being put up, all baskets will be put up by the end of June.
- UPDATE – Hanging baskets have now been removed and feedback was that the baskets weren’t impressive. Britain in Bloom awards goes ahead this October and results will be reported.
- UPDATE – We achieved a gold with our Britain in Bloom entry for 2017. We will hang 198 baskets in 2018 and they will be in situ for the Garden Festival.
More seasonal events, marketing concepts to keep locals shopping
- UPDATE – We have worked with Totally Locally to encourage local shoppers to the town, following two different events, Fiver Fest and Ten Tastic we have now made the decision to consolidate and research how the initiative benefitted the shopkeepers, we will be in contact in due course to obtain this information so we can discuss how best to proceed in future.
- We held a very successful Easter Bunny Hunt that encouraged 198 Bunny hunters into the town. We have a seasonal summer Fete scheduled for August alongside many other summer events that are currently in the planning process.
- Tavistock BID working with the Chamber and the Town Council produced a 16-page booklet that provided information on new business openings, car parking information and what is happening in the town. The primary aim of this booklet is to keep locals informed and encourage them to shop locally. This booklet has now been distributed.
- UPDATE – Seasonal Summer Festival held, proved to be a real success with both business owners and attendees. Plans for a Winter Festival are now underway.
- UPDATE – The Easter Bunny Hunt ran again in 2018, extended to 25 businesses it ran for two weeks over the Easter Holidays.
Lobby rents and rates district valuers
- UPDATE – Lisa has met with Geoffrey Cox and Counceller Robert Oxborough, following on from this meeting we are now investigating a sum of money held by WDBC and how this is likely to be distributed amongst business owners, we have written a formal letter requesting this information and are currently awaiting a response. We will update you as we gather more information. West Devon Borough Council has now distributed funds to businesses.
Support Tidy Tavy
Look at Town Cleanliness and how this can be improved
- UPDATE – We have asked businesses to notify us of areas of any concern, one area (outside Oggy Oggy) has been resolved, Lisa has liaised with WDBC regarding the residential waste that is being left on Pepper Street, Lisa has been informed by WDBC that the contractor that picks up this waste has been directed to collect the waste early in the morning and all residents have been told to leave waste at one central location away from business premises. Our understanding is this issue has been resolved but we will continue to keep an eye on this matter to ensure this issue doesn’t arise again.
Better promotion of events
- UPDATE – we produced a spring town guide that was delivered jointly between Tavistock and the Town Council, this was distributed through 5000 homes throughout Tavistock with a further 2000 available throughout town. This booklet will become a bi-annual booklet that will promote events.
- We have produced promotional material for the summer Festival, these leaflets went in bookbags and were distributed throughout town.
- We have promoted events in local press including Tavy links and Tavistock Times. We now have a regular article in the Tavy links.
- We used radio advertising, our own newly developed website and Visit Tavistock Facebook page. To further promote events
- UPDATE – We are currently in the process of producing 25,000 leaflets that are being developed with TTC and TDC. These leaflets will be given out at Goose Fair on the park and ride operating on the day, this event created a captive audience that we hope to encourage back to the town for future events.
- UPDATE – We are again producing a leaflet with the Town Council to be delivered to 7000 homes, we have shared our portion of the booklet with Tavistock Heritage Trust, The Edge, and The Lions.
Keep the website and social media up to date
- UPDATE- We have employed an administrator to ensure this is updated regularly. A Facebook group has been created and a weekly blog on the website.
- UPDATE – In addition to a Tavistock BID website aimed at BID levy payers, we have now produced and run the Visit Tavistock website that is proving popular. In partnership with this, we have set up a Visit Tavistock Facebook page which currently has over 300 followers. This is updated very regularly with daily posts featuring on our Facebook page.
- UPDATE – We continue to manage both websites and facebook pages. A weekly update is produced for the BID website a monthly newsletter for our mailing list. Visit Tavistock is updated with information about events and activities happening in the Town and daily Facebook posts to advertise what’s happening in Tavistock. We have also compiled an email list of local accommodation providers and will be sharing a media file of resources about Tavistock that they can share with their visitors.
Work with the Town Council to see if the Pannier Market could be open on Mondays
- UPDATE- Due to the work being undertaken in 2017 this will not happen this year.
- UPDATE – Due to continuing work, this will not take place in 2018.
Create a new Christmas light switch on with late night shopping and lantern parade earlier in November
- UPDATE – Due to the Winter Festival, we will look to plan this event in for 2018.
- UPDATE – The size of Dickensian is now such that we need to employ a specific Health and Safety officer to manage this side of the event and ensure I compliance. Therefore this will be looked at in 2019.
Increase the amount of Christmas trees around the Town and light them up
- UPDATE – 2016 saw an increase of businesses requesting trees, we also supplied battery powered lights for any business that wanted the option.
Better promotion of Tourist Information Centre
- UPDATE – Tavistock BID is in communication with the Heritage Trust regarding the tourist information centre, further developments will be announced shortly.
- UPDATE – Tavistock Heritage Trust are creating a Visitor Information Point (VIP) which will act as a tourist information centre and we will help to promote this resource.
Work with the Town Council to improve the Goose fair offering
- UPDATE – This year after meeting with Town Council we have been given an area to utilise in order to encourage footfall in the Town Centre, plans are currently underway as to how we can best utilise the area.
Lobby the council to cap the amount of same type businesses in the Town
Work more closely with other organisations in Tavistock
- UPDATE – We have built relationships with Chamber of Trade, Tavistock Lions and the Heritage Initiative and we will continue to work with these organisation on issues effecting Tavistock
- UPDATE – Working alongside TTC and TDC we have supported businesses affected by scaffolding by arranging for signs promoting business as usual.
- UPDATE – BID is represented at the car park strategy consultative group at WDBC, we also have representation at the Pannier Market and Town Hall consultative group.
- UPDATE – We are working with a number of other organisations in the town, including The Edge for events and the Chamber of Commerce in the fight against increased car-parking changes for Tavistock.
- UPDATE – A meeting was scheduled with Chubb for business requiring CCTV, unfortunately with only two attendees this meeting was cancelled.
Better communication with members
- UPDATE – We produce a monthly E newsletter, post a weekly blog and update social media regularly.
Look at the viability of Electronic signs to show if car parks have spaces
- UPDATE – We have looked at the option of electronic signs but they are too expensive to install and maintain at this time.
Work with civil enforcement team to ensure the local needs and constraints are heard and lobby for a change in policy
- UPDATE – We are liaising with Cllr Debo Sellis.
Lobby and work more closely with Town Planning and applications put in for a change of use
- Tavistock BID are notified of all new applications and consult with stake holders as needed, Tavistock BID have been working with town planning in respect to the change of use application that has been put in for the unit in Plymouth Road and have recently attended the objection hearing meeting.
Work with the council to resolve issues with courtesy crossings and taxis rank
Look at the Town Guide and develop it
Use steam train as a bus service from Car Parks
Introduce Motor Home Parking
- UPDATE – Motorhome parking is now available at the Riverside Carpark.
New Bloom signage showing the awards achieved on entrances and exits of the Town
Look into staff parking for Saturdays
Work with the night time economy to increase footfall
Subsidise new business start ups
More training provided on first aid and window dressing
Pay for Tour Guides during peak seasons
Close Duke Street for more markets
Introduce Tavy Tokens as Tavistock’s currency