MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS’ MEETING
DATE: 18th JANUARY, 2017 AT 6.00PM LOCATION: THE BEDFORD HOTEL, TAVISTOCK
Lisa Piper – BID Manager (LP) Robin Rich – I Love Candy (RR)
Andrew Baker – Potter Baker (AB) Cllr. Harry Smith – TTC (HS)
Ruth Kelly – Boots (RK) Penny Samuels – Brocante (PS )
Martin Hawkins – Art Gallery (MH) Kate Royston – Tamar Energy (KR)
|Item ref||Agenda Item||Decision/Action|
|Nigel Eadie. Mandy Ewings. Giles Newby.|
|AB requested that the wording (item 8) be changed – ‘AB reported that Darren from WDBC had contacted him seeking financial assistance with their benchmarking survey. AB responded that following the commitments made in the re-election the BID’s surplus funds were not available’. AB passed around the accounts for Directors to look at and takled them through. At present there were only two signatories for the account – AB and RR, it was agreed that ME and GN should also be signatories. Tavistock Subscription Library were now exempt from the levy.
AB also requested that the wording (9.3) should be changed – ‘AB said that the operating agreement between WDBC and BID for the coming 5 years had to be renewed following the re-election. AB has reviewed the document, and it is virtually identical to the previous one. Their collection charge £4,000 (per annum) will remain the same, and be collected yearly in arrears. We have to sign the new agreement. It was proposed by ME and seconded by GN that AB should sign this. All Directors were in agreement. With these alterations it was proposed by HS and seconded by PS that the minutes be accepted as a true and accurate record of that meeting.
Matters arising:- MH stated that the last item under 3.3 – wish list being created for using 106 money should be looked at further as this money seemed to have gone elsewhere rather than being used in Tavistock – this woul d be checked on WDBC website and taken up as necessary.
|3||GETTING THE WORK DONE|
|BID Managers report – LP submitted her report:-
· Communication and BID team organisation – January newsletter out last week, 43% opening rate (down 12% on December opening rate) – 157 emails – encourage to subscribe to the newsletter . Some difficulty experienced by BID Board of Directors on BID site couple of sites nothing to do with our official BID site – address for levy payers – Tavistockbid.co.uk
· Marketing – Website – LP and Becky have been building a site plan and gathering information (accommodation providers etc.) to send to the designer once chosen. Of the 3 quotes received Westcountry Websistes which is local to Tavistock – good portfolio – would be the preferred choice – should be up and running by March. Propose that we use Westcountry Websites – all Directors in favour.
· Love Tavistock card – Poor response from Retailers with only 3 offers on the site – encouraged through fb and the newsletter – only 4 businesses have card through the town – discussion regarding format – not quite right for addition by those wanting to put new offers on, Becky has to delete – will be very time consuming – offers must last for at least a month – LP will do a form and circulate – fill in and return
· Christmas lights – Issues with installation and power supplies – installer thought they were switching on the lights – no problem last year – 5 call outs during the period – LP asked for a re-evaluated bill –going forward:- LP looking at purchase options – buy lights and renew each time BID is renewed – TTC to put lights up and maintain them? – they do their own – discussing with Wayne and the Council second week in February – looking to get 3 quotes for this year – LP will check with Torbay – suggestion to check Portishead who have very good lights to find who their Contractor is – cash flow needs to be checked if lights are bought outright (pay ½ this year and ½ next year – probably not work) – suggest businesses in the town might like to sponsor even though they pay BID anyway.
· Dickensian – Successful night with no issues – Marshalls good feed back, park and ride busy – town busy – good weather – Date for 2017 has been made public in the paper and online – (Friday 1st December).
· Events – 1) Sunday 18th December, 2016 hada mixed response, the Market was busy and so was Duke Street and Brook Street. West Street majority of shops closed, and the surrounding side streets. Suggest looking at this for the summer months. Miss Ivy did a grand job.
· 2) Whilst on this subject – PS mentioned a couple of dates that Miss Ivy had arranged in Tavistock – Pet Festivals on Bank holiday Monday and Sunday 5th November in the Pannier Market and Bedford Square – need to get as many shops open as possible – also Sunday 20th August – Great British Summer fete again in the Pannier Market and Bedford Square – BID need to try to get shops to open – Miss Ivy also works with Visit Dartmoor (Jo) – suggested BID speak to Devon Guild of Craftsmen – event normally help at ???? not being held there this year – need to get them to hold some events in Tavistock – BID should help Jo with publicity – LP is organising the Steam Fair in June this year.
· 3) February Half-term 2017 – Marquee on the Square with craft activities, Magic Martin – £2 to take part? – speak to Duane ref. costings – 1 hour per day – give Parents reason to bring children into Tavistock and shop whilst here.
· 4) Tavistock Passion Play – TACT (Tavistock Area Christians Together) organising play to be staged at various locations throughout the town on Good Friday – Vicar – Steve Martin is the contact – looking for sponsorship to cover road closures – contacts for staging and lighting – suggest BID do leaflets and put on fb for this event and other things in Tavistock (Easter egg hunt on Saturday, Church Services on Sunday and Miss Ivy on Monday) – 10,000 double sided – benefit other people in the town – BID should fully support this.
· Cleanliness of Town – Encourage businesses to provide areas of concern – put in place anything further that is needed – LP will check benchmarking to see if all areas are covered regarding litter
· Around Town – Planned works – BID need to work with the council to ensure that businesses are still visable and able to operate during the planned scaffolding works. Ideas being put forwrard to utilise the covering of the scaffolding – LP will liaise with Carl Hearne – proposed that scaffolding goes all down Duke Street – be in situ. for 6 months? – businesses still need to operate – programme still being formulated – HS will keep Directors up-dated – BID needs to get message around that Tavistock is still open, need to see shops are still open – some signage on scaffolding if shop names/details cannot be seen?
· Bloom – LP has had the first meeting of the new year and the committee and council are keen to use a local company – LP has explained she would be able to get baskets much cheaper from elsewhere and it is important to ensure value for money – she will speak to last year’s provider to see if if a price deal can be agreed – less baskets able to ogo up this year because of scaffolding unless some adaption can be made – Duane harvesting water – LP liaise with him. Tidy Tavy/Rotary – organise clean up and weeding days. Bloom committee unable to support Town entry this year as they want to concentrate on ‘In your neighbourhood award’.
· Signage – LP showed Directors the final version of the proposed new signage, as the previous signage was a planning contravention – white background needs to be black – ammendments need to be done – Becky going around to check tomorrow (Thursday 19th) – hope to drop to Tavy Signs by Friday to be complete next week/week after – approx £500.
· Coaches – We need new leaflets produced for this year (no changes from last printing), also contacted CPT to chase for feedback on achieving accreditation – still need coach friendly status and sign at Dolvin Road to direct coaches to Bedford Hotel
· CCTV – Meeting 22nd February at the Bedford Hotel with Chubb Security to offer reduced rates to businesses of Tavistock – all businesses will be invited to this meeting in the newsletter and fb.
· Bunting – LP has obtained quotes for 1000 metres of pvc multi coloured hard wearing bunting – cost £850 plus labour (tend to come in 10mtr. strips – all through town – discussion – some a bit sceptical – will it increase footfall? – makes people feel better and should spend more money – suggestion that Schools make these – in situ. from Easter to the end of August – benefit to Town – health and safety issues? – PS suggested speak to Falmouth – KR would like to see some examples of where this is used – needs to be well done – may be shorter season – check with Lions regarding putting up and taking down, and whether theirs needs to be renewed – LP check how to join (plastic fixings) and labour costs and maintenance – LP advise Directors by e-mail
|4.1||Website – dealt with under 3 above
|4.2||Tavistock Passion play – dealt with under 3|
|4.3||Half term events – dealt with under 3 above|
|5.1||Scaffolding impact Duke Street and Pannier market perimeter – dealt with under 3 above|
|5.2||Bunting – dealt with under 3 above|
|5.3||Bloom – dealt with under 3 above|
|5.4||Update signage – dealt with under 3 above|
|6||BUSINESS SUPPORT AND LOBBYING|
|CCTV – dealt with under 3 above|
|Nothing to report|
|AB circulated the financial report up to the end of December explaining that it was difficult to report on – levy payments come in blocks and the money is spent over the 12 months – some levy payments in January, more at the end of August – Christmas lights may not be quite so much as budgeted – Dickensian money coming in – there were no questions on the accounts.
RK had been appointed and consent given to act at this meeting, personal details required to move this through – check at the end of the meeting
|9||ANY OTHER BUSINESS|
|9.1||KR would circulate a ‘learn Devon’ document – an opportunity to do an ‘on line’ course explaining how to help people to use social media.||KR|
|9.2||KR hoping to move on with Totally Locally in the next month or so||KR|
|9.3||MH asked whether LP had attended the meeting with Graham Parker regarding the Neighbourhood Plan – LP had attended a meeting before Christmas with the various groups – WDBC, Chamber and Carl Hearne etc. – very informative, trying to work together so that local things are ‘all joined up’|
|10.||Wednesday 22nd February, 2017 at 6.00pm. at the Bedford Hotel – changed to Wednesday 15th February, 2017, later because there is a Chubb meeting on 22nd February.|
|The meeting closed at 8.03pm.|